Information Collection and Use
The primary reason that we collect certain personal information is to provide the best possible level of customer service. It enables us to deliver product announcements, software updates and special offers as well as provide convenient and personalized user access and improve the features and usability of our products. Registered Xinote users can view and change their personal information at any time by visiting the Xinote account information page by signing in at xinote.com and clicking on the "Settings" link. Unregistered users may still be able to use certain Xinote web sites and services, in which case no personal information is collected.
Xinote may collect information and use it for internal business purposes in a number of situations, for example:
- Personal information such as name, e-mail address, contact preferences, which Xinote products and services you use, and transactional information such as your credit card number — to deliver and support our products and services;
- Demographic information such as your occupation and where you use your computer and mobile devices — to improve our understanding of our customer needs;
- Tracking information about your visit from the browser or Xinote application on your computer or mobile device, including IP address, cookies and the pages you request — to analyze trends, administer the site, track your navigation of the site, deliver relevant advertisements and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use (note that IP addresses are not linked to "personally identifiable information"); and
- Aggregate information from multiple users without personally identifying individuals, such as geographic region, which we may share with our business partners — to improve understanding of customer needs and provide relevant services.
You may elect to terminate your participation in the services at any time and/or delete information and material you have posted to any notebook. If you cancel your account, or delete any notebook or notebook content, it will no longer be accessible to you or others who may access the service, but there may continue to be residual copies of such information due to the nature of the computer system's operation and ongoing data back-up and archiving.
You may also change your contact preferences after logging into your Xinote account at www.xinote.com. If you wish to opt out of email marketing communications from us, you may click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of an email message you receive from us.
Facebook/ Google Connect
Your Xinote Username and related information
The Xinote web site allows you to create an "Xinote Username" based on your personal information. This is required in order to take full advantage of the Xinote services and any downloadable software products. It also allows Xinote to provide more personalized and convenient service and saves time when you want to use the Xinote services, update your software or settings, or search for Xinote-related information.
Certain portions of the Xinote web sites and services are open to any online viewer, such as user notebooks designated as "public," and our user forum. Any information that you post in these locations can be read, collected and used by anyone, and could enable others to send you unsolicited messages. Xinote enables you to determine whether or not to post personal or otherwise sensitive information to publicly accessible areas of our site, and so you should carefully consider how you use the services. Xinote is not responsible for any publication or use of any personal information you choose to post in these locations.
Information disclosure to third parties
- We have your explicit consent to share the information;
- We need to share your information to fulfill your product or service request;
- We wish to contact you with information about products and services from our business partners, which we may do unless you "opt out" of such communications by clicking the unsubscribe link found within Xinote email updates or by logging into your Xinote account at xinote.com and going to Settings > Personal Settings > Contact Preferences and changing your contact preferences;
- We have a good faith belief that sharing or otherwise permitting access, disclosure, use or preservation of such information is reasonably necessary in order to comply with our legal obligations;
- You have explicitly requested information from Xinote business partners, in which case it will be clear at the point of collection who is collecting the personal information and whose privacy statement will apply;
- We believe it is necessary in order to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud or potential threats against persons or property;
- We believe it is necessary to investigate potential violations of our Terms of Service, or to enforce those Terms of Service; or
- We have a relationship with an affiliate or partner that you have an online or off-line (non-Internet) relationship with, or have visited the affiliate or partner's web site that links to or mentions Xinote's web site, and have registered for Xinote's online services through the partner or affiliate's program or web site.
Cookies and Tracking Pixels
You can configure your browser to accept cookies, reject cookies or notify you when a cookie is being used. However, if you configure your browser to reject cookies, you may not be able to use Xinote products or services that require you to sign in or take advantage of all the features of Xinote. If you do not want to receive tracking pixels, you will need to disable HTML images in your email client, but that may affect your ability to view images in other email that you receive.
Xinote may allow third party business partners that display advertisements on some of our web pages to maintain their own cookies on your computer. These business partners do not have access to Xinote's cookies and their use is subject to their own privacy policies.
Xinote is committed to protecting the security of your information and takes reasonable precautions to protect it. However, Internet data transmissions, whether wired or wireless, cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure and as a result we cannot ensure the security of information you transmit to us; accordingly, you acknowledge that you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your data transmission, we make all commercially reasonable efforts to ensure its security on our systems:
- Your Xinote password is protected by encryption and only you have access to it;
- Your personal information and data stored in our systems is protected by various physical, electronic and procedural safeguards. It is housed in a secure facility and Xinote restricts physical and network access to this facility to select trained staff and regularly evaluates its technologies, facilities, procedures and potential risks to maintain the security and privacy of our users' data. As a rule, Xinote employees do not monitor or view your personal information or content stored in the Xinote service, but it may be viewed if we learn that our Terms of Service may have been violated and confirmation is required, or we otherwise determine that we have an obligation to review it; and
- Certain Xinote services support the use of standard SSL encryption to protect data transmissions. However, this is not a guarantee that such data transmissions cannot be accessed, altered or deleted due to firewall or other security software failures.
If Xinote learns of a security system breach we may attempt to notify you and provide information on protective steps, if available, through the e-mail address that you supplied during registration or posting a notice on our web site. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive such notices in writing.
Xinote complies with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which requires us to inform parents and legal guardians about how we collect, use and disclose personal information from children under 13 years of age.
Xinote is not currently directed to children and we currently require users to verify that they are at least 13 years of age upon registration. We will not knowingly collect personal information relating to children under 13 years of age, and if we learn that we have inadvertently done so, we will promptly delete it.
Changes and Updates
If Xinote should ever sell its assets, merge with another entity or file for bankruptcy, information collected from this web site and in the operation of the services may be transferred as assets of Xinote.